Thursday, August 13, 2015

Surgery, a feather, and rotten watermelons

So, the past week or so has been crazy. I know I know, you will probably think every week around here is crazy, and it usually is even if we never leave the house! So we found out a couple of weeks ago that my oldest son needed to have surgery on his tailbone.  Yes it does sound terrible!  He had a cyst and it needed to be removed. They started him on antibiotics and we scheduled it for after he had finished them. They had initially scheduled it for Monday the 10th, but called last Tuesday, and said hey guess what...we can get him in tomorrow morning! Be there at 5a.m., surgery is at 7!! Well alrighty then. Time to get ourselves in gear!  He wouldn't be able to walk good much less climb stairs after surgery, so we were going to move him temporarily downstairs into the school room.  I was in the process of going through old curriculum in the school room. It was a real mess. Not just a little mess you could quickly clean up, it was a papers and books scattered all over the floor and most everything taken off the shelves kind of mess.  I thought I had all weekend, but then...life happened. Things changed and it was time to get it done. We had to move most of his stuff downstairs in just a few hours. We got him happily situated downstairs just in time to go to bed since he had to BE THERE at 5a.m., anddddd it was 30 minutes to the hospital. Side note, he in fact did not have to be there at 5a.m. considering that NO ONE was there until 5:45.

Here's a picture before surgery...he looks like he's having a great time.


So surgery went great and he is recovering well. They said about a 2 week recovery. He went yesterday and got half of his stitches out. He said it actually feels better.

With him recovering we have pretty much just stayed at home. He really needs someone here at all times because he can not bend or sit or even walk very well. I decided Saturday that I needed to go grocery shopping, and my husband was here to stay with Drake. We had nothing since I hadn't been in almost 2 weeks. I HAD to go!  When I go big grocery shopping, it involves going not only to H.E.B. our local grocery store, but also to Costco. I love Costco. I would live there if I could. The only problem I had was, first, I wasn't feeling great, I was battling a migraine, and second it was 350 degrees outside. We couldn't even breathe it was so hot. We had to roll the windows down for a few minutes to be able to drive down the road and let the A/C cool off.
We decided while we were out that we might as well get Panda Express for lunch. It's one of our favorite places to eat, and after all we WERE shopping! When we walked up to the restaurant there was a feather lying on the stairs. I said, "Oh look Edyn! There's a feather and it means God has us covered!" We smiled and didn't think about it again until we were leaving and saw it again. We hopped in the car and it wouldn't start. Lovely....It was now 400 degrees outside, and we were stuck in a parking spot with a car parked in front of us, and it would take A.J. 20 minutes at least to get there! A few minutes after we decided to go sit back in Panda Express, the car parked in front of us left. I told Edyn I am not above standing in that spot until your dad gets here! We decided that probably wasn't a good idea and that dad would just have to push my car out of the spot, in the heat, down the parking lot, to where he could jump it. We were in a busy parking lot too...on a SATURDAY!! Well, God had us covered. For at least 10 minutes no one parked in front of me. They parked all around me, but not one car pulled in that GOOD space in front of my car. He had it reserved for A.J.! God cares about the little things! #thankful!! I saw my knight in shining armor pull up on his white horse, or I guess his steel gray Dodge, and he got us started up again.

While we were at Costco, we bought a watermelon just like we always do. We couldn't wait to get it home and dive in!
Well, little did we know, we got a nasty, smelly, rotten watermelon. Seriously is this happening right now?  It may not look bad, but as soon as we cut into it, it smelled TERRIBLE. We were so disappointed. ;(  Don't worry we went back to Costco yesterday while we were out and they replaced it with a good one even though I didn't have my receipt. Again, God cares about the little things.

I know I told you that we started notebooking. I am still going to post about it and our experiences with it, after we have some more time doing it under our belt. We started with a little at a time, but the kids are enjoying it so much, we have gradually added to it. This week we started notebooking current events in addition to History, Science, and their nature journals. We absolutely love this app called News-o-matic. It's a news app designed for kids. It's perfect especially for Gavin.

 



Oh..little hands!! My favorite!! (Even at 10 yrs old lol)


They absolutely love to decorate and take notes on everything they are learning about. We are also loving our state study. We decided to do the states in the order that they became states. We have covered Delaware and Pennsylvania! We are still studying about Colonial times in history, and they are doing a study on sharks for Science. We are hoping to get in on some field trips soon too!

Well this week has been a little reminder that even when things aren't going as we think they should, God has us covered, and He will take us under His wings. I hope everyone has a blessed weekend.

P.S. Here's a cute grand doll pic just because she's precious!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment