Monday, June 8, 2015

Review of Handwriting Without Tears - Cursive


I decided to do a quick review of Handwriting Without Tears Cursive Handwriting Curriculum. I needed to add some reviews to my blog, and although I was not compensated in any way for this review, it's a curriculum that my son and I really enjoy. When I started homeschooling my son, his handwriting was barely legible. We started with the print version of HWT. I loved it. By the end of the book, his handwriting had increased substantially. He really had a strong desire to learn to write in cursive. I could have easily printed pages from the internet and tried to teach him myself, but honestly my cursive isn't that great. I write half print and half cursive normally. They don't even teach cursive in public schools anymore and it's becoming a lost art. My son had a desire to learn this, and I wanted him to learn it, because if you don't learn it, it's very hard to read it. HWT cursive is not your traditional flowy script, but an easier form of cursive that to me is a lot more modern and useful. 

 One thing I really like about it is that the letters are not slanted as in traditional cursive. They are written straight up and down as in print. Another plus to HWT is that similar letters are taught together. For example they teach lowercase c, and then a and d because they are all similar styles. There are also warm-ups at the beginning of the book for the first few lessons, in order for them to learn the connections and loops of certain letters. There is quite a bit of practice in the book. My son does anywhere from one to two pages per day. There is a teacher's manual that you can purchase with the workbook. I have to say that honestly I have never used it, both with the printing workbook and the cursive. I find that the workbook is self explanatory. That is just my personal opinion. 

The price of this set is also extremely affordable. You can get the workbook and teacher's manual for around $20 plus shipping. It's definitely worth it! I ordered straight from the site. Here's the link to their official site. Handwriting Without Tears - Cursive

I hope you enjoy this curriculum as much as we do!

-Tasha



No comments:

Post a Comment